Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Kara's First Post: Lemon or Clementine All-Purpose Cleaner



Another snow day!  I've lost count of how many I have had this year--maybe four.  No matter, so long as I get to stay in my pajamas all day.  What a cold and snowy year it has been so far.

This is my first blog on The Wild Rumpus Agenda with my lovely sister, Kimmie.  I wanted to start out simple, so here it goes:

What does one do on a snow day?  I thought about painting my nails, then reading a book, but then I heard the little one, Bear's mid-nap moan, and I thought, "My time is almost up! I better wipe down the stairs,"which get covered with dust in just minutes.  We live in an old house with pre-1978 paint somewhere under the many layers on the walls and trim, and contrary to popular belief, lead is in the dust, not the paint chips, so to keep my fears of lead poisoning my child at bay, I am wiping everything down and vacuuming like a crazy lady.  I used to wipe down with just diluted vinegar and water, but I hated the stinky-feet smell, so now I use lemon or orange infused vinegar, which just smells clean.  In the winter, when my family is eating clementines every few minutes, it's easy to collect dozens of clementine peels.  In the spring and summer, when I make homemade gatorade (I'll blog that come summer), I save up the lemon peels.  All you do is place a bunch of lemon or orange peels in a quart jar, cover it in white vinegar, close it up, and let it sit in a dark place for two weeks.  To clean, I use 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water.  If I am cleaning wood floors, I add the juice of one lemon to make the floors a bit glossier.  It smells so clean, so so lead free.  Oh, and the best part is it's super cheap too!



Supplies:
-a large mason jar
-between five and ten lemon peels
-white vinegar
1. Gather your leftover lemon or orange peels.  I keep them in the mason jar, ready to go.
2.  Put the rinds in the jar and pour the vinegar over them.
3. Wait about two weeks for the lemon oils to infuse the vinegar.
You can use this as an all-purpose cleaner or as the vinegar agent for whatever cleaning concoction you make want to make.
* Happy cleaning *


No comments:

Post a Comment